Department of Mechanical Engineering

  1. Home
  2. »
  3. Department of Mechanical Engineering





Industry & International


Excellent Academic






100% Placement


About the Department

Mechanical engineers require a solid understanding of key concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, energy and manufacturing. They use these principles in the design and analysis of automobiles, aircraft, heating and cooling systems, buildings and bridges, industrial equipment & machinery, and many more.

The fourth industrial revolution is known as “Industry 4.0”, a German concept where the industrial operations are fully automated by adapting Internet of Things, Robotics, Smart Manufacturing concepts.

  • “Industry 1.0”– use of steam engines
  • “Industry 2.0” – use of electricity
  • “Industry 3.0” – use of computers
  • “Industry 4.0”– integration of cyber and physical systems in manufacturing.,
Worldwide industries have started to implement “Industry 4.0” concept thereby giving new dimensions to manufacturing technology. The department is functionally divided into four broad areas of specialization :-
  • (i) Design
  • (ii) Manufacturing
  • (iii) Thermal and
  • (iv) Materials Engineering.
Programs Offered

The Department of Mechanical Engineering, SRM IST Vadapalani Campus is offering the following courses with specializations to cater the requirements of “Industry 4.0”

B.Tech - Mechanical Engineering
B.Tech - Mechanical Engineering with Specialization in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
Ph.D - Mechanical Engineering

To impart knowledge to our students in an ambience of Humanity, Wisdom, Intellect, Creativity of Innovation, in order to nurture them culturally and Ethically rich professionals with bright future.


To impart quality education to produce mechanical engineers and enhance their skills to become world renowned professionals. To establish Centers of Research Excellence to inculcate research acumen in faculty and students on the areas like; machining, biomechanics, bio-fuels, composites, and energy. To provide state-of-the-art education and training programs to the faculty and student fellowship.

The department has to its credit corporate training programs, industrial consultancy, and funded projects from government bodies. These connections served to benefit students in the form of good placements, well-equipped laboratories and industrial exposure. The participation of industries in curriculum designing has helped the department to keep pace with fast-changing industrial needs. The department also benefits from the visiting professor programs of AICTE through which highly experienced senior executives deliver lectures to staff and students.

The program enables the students to take up careers in a broad spectrum of industries. Many of the IT industries also have CAD/CIM divisions, which increases the job potential of mechanical engineers. Around 70% of the students are placed in reputed industries practicing core and allied engineering, through campus recruitment and the remaining 30% prefer higher studies in India and abroad.